Wednesday, November 10, 2010

THREE FOR THURSDAY: 3 PHOTOS OF MY AVOCADO TREE



                                Have you ever grown an avocado from a pit in a glass of water? It's always amazing when something impossible turns out to actually grow in your zone.  This is my avocado tree from a seedling. It's probably a Hass avocado since 95% of the market is the Hass variety. This is an 8 year old tree. I've grown all three strains of avocado here in zone 9 Houston and all are tricky. The West Indian strain can take the humidity, but can't take even the slightest frost. The Mexican variety can take hard freezes down to 22, but can't take the relentless summer humidity and mood swings from dry to wet. The Guatemalan strain can take light freezes, but get stressed with temps over 95!  So none can take the Houston combination of  hot summers, freezing winters, and endless high humidity.  So this avocado tree is quite special to me!  I've tried about 20 different seedlings and this is the only one to make it. About 3 years ago, I started looking around town for other Avocado trees and know of 3 or 4 that somehow can grow here. The lesson: don't give up on a plant just because the books say it can't be done. Thanks for visiting 3 for Thursday. Visit Cindy at My Corner of Katy for her latest 3 for Thursday. We'd love for you to join in.

5 comments:

  1. testing to see if comments are switched on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's an avocado cultivar called 'Gainesville' that is from... Gainesville Florida, zone 8! Kanapaha botanical Gardens has a HUGE specimen too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am going to have to look into the Mexican variety because that's the only one that may do well here....and I say "MAY"....but I am still investigating for the best spot:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. "don't give up on a plant just because the books say it can't be done."

    Agreed! My blog is a lot like yours, we grow a lot of the same things. I'm in Houston also!

    June

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is anyone still monitoring this? Just curious ! So excited, I think I'm ready to finally pot 13 Avocado's. Worried sick about coming up with just the right mux. Here it is, November 1st, 2014. I've been watching these pits since Spring. Once they're in soil I have about 10 more with beginning roots that have finally started sprouting! I live in Northeast Ohio. :( Last winter was historical for us; lowest temp was 38º BELOW ZERO!!! Looks as if I'll be moving my trees around quite a lot but it'll all be worth it. I have Multiple Sclerosis, widowed just over 2 yrs ago & unable to drive. Just myself & my silver Toy Poodle, Bella...and hopefully a home filled one day with glorious Avocado Trees. If anyone is still blogging, I'd appreciate any & all tips & advice. As a little girl I remember my Gram always having a kitchen windowsill filled with what I called "Sputniks" ! (giggles) She had the greenest thumb I'd ever seen, yet I don't think she was ever successful with her "pits". I think she's watching down from Heaven, enjoying my progress right along with me. I'll check back to see if anyone responds. Because of illness & the inability to drive, I have a lot of time on my hands.

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate your comments & questions! Happy Gardening from David/ Tropical Texana

Related Posts with Thumbnails